After launching Seesmic this morning, it recommended I update to the most recent version – Seesmic Desktop 2, version 184.108.40.2061, released on 1/13/2011. After verifying that I have the correct version of Silverlight, 4.0.51204.0, I let Seesmic update itself. When it was done, it said I would have to restart Seesmic to use the new version, so I exited the application. Then this popped up:
Notice that the exception occurred in coreclr.dll. A very brief online search indicates that this may not be specific to Silverlight; at least one case I saw was in .NET 3.x.
The full problem signature details are:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: sllauncher.exe
Application Version: 4.0.51204.0
Application Timestamp: 4cf9ee78
Fault Module Name: coreclr.dll
Fault Module Version: 4.0.51204.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4cf9e8f2
Exception Code: 8013150a
Exception Offset: 0013d256
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: b76a
Additional Information 2: b76aff7421cdd15f7b21d933c977a4f7
Additional Information 3: b56d
Additional Information 4: b56d590e599ff3a2de6d2ac24a1d1c63
During the time that I’ve had a Dell M6500 I’ve really enjoyed it. In particular I like its dual-drive and RAID 0 support for better disk I/O, and its support for up to 32 GB of RAM. The striped drives have definitely been an improvement over laptops’ consistent problem of painfully slow disk I/O. When I bought it I never imagined I’d boost it all the way to 32 GB, but didn’t want to be stuck at 4 or 8 GB either.
Unfortunately, my M6500 is very unstable. The stability problem almost always manifests itself as a hard reset – i.e., no blue screen, no warning, etc. It’s just like the days before NT (Win 3.x, etc.) when you’d push the computer’s reset button. Bam! Straight to boot sequence & BIOS screen!
The resets are highly unpredictable as well. Sometimes I’ll go a week without having one, and sometimes I’ll have 15 – 20 times a day! I’ve searched and tried so many different things that I can’t remember them all any more. At one point I was convinced the network drivers were the problem because resets seemed to occur during heavy network traffic. But then something I found online made me suspect the low-level drivers of Microsoft Security Essentials (blogged here), but the resets continued.
Then, I thought I’d have a break-through! An actual Blue Screen instead of a hard reset! (BSOD’d Again! Windows 7, 64-bit), but that turned out to be a dead-end, too.
Oh wait! Now I remember that my first suspicion was VirtualBox which I use for virtualized development environments. That was even before I suspected the network drivers. I uninstalled VBox and switched to VMWare Workstation for a couple of weeks, but the resets occurred whether I was using a VM or not.
Sigh. The only consistency I have found is the instability’s randomness. And that’s certainly no help for diagnosis. So, I’ve spent the past 24 hours ensuring I have all of the most recent Dell-recommended firmware and software updates for the M6500. Fingers crossed that this will have magically fixed the reset problems. If not, hopefully someone else has had similar problems and will be able to tell me how to resolve them.